22 October 2009

Supposedly Gooey Caramel Cupcakes


OK, so the other day I was asked if I'd ever made gooey caramel centred cupcakes.

It sounded so good, I had to try.

And I have an excuse, tomorrow I've been invited to attend an open house shopping day, cupcakes in tow of course ... which should be fun, it's a new experience for me.

So, I had my camera at hand, so you could follow the process with me.

From the title, I guess you'll gather that they didn't quite work out as they should have, but let me tell you they do still taste divine, so all is not lost!

After a little Google search, I found these.
So this is the holy grail - this is what I was going for. And just in case you don't follow that link, this is the image they lured me in with.


Gorgeous - right?

I even Googled the kind of caramel sweets they used before I went and bought a South African equivalent!



Anyway, it also made me realise I haven't shared my cupcake recipe with you. So here it is.

Vanilla Cupcakes (recipe from How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson)
125 grams unsalted butter (I use Rama margarine for Baking)
125 grams castor sugar
125 grams self-raising flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence (I'm sure she says extract, but it's expensive!!!)
2-3 tablespoons of milk

Put everything in the food processor and blend until thoroughly mixed.


Yup. Everything.



Then spoon into your cupcake pan - lined with cupcake papers.



I make 24 at a time and so I just double up the recipe. Works perfectly.

So, for the caramel centred cupcakes, all you're supposedly meant to do is press a caramel into the centre of each cupcake before baking.
Like this.


A little aside here - see how the last three cupcakes don't have caramels? I'm sure there were 24 in the box ... clearly I am so bust!!!

Then, this is what they looked like when they came out of the oven. No pretty square shaped whole in the top.



Anyway, I was still holding out hope that the gooey centre would be yummy.

I couldn't wait ... of course.

So I dusted one with icing sugar.



So pretty.

And then took a big old bite ...




It really was yummy - but I don't think that's where the caramel is supposed to be.

Never mind, I think we'll call these chewy caramel bottom cupcakes.

I'm sure that'll be fine!

Have a good weekend
Keep reading
Nicky

4 comments:

Fatima said...

Hi Nicky

Just came across your blog. I've been browsing food blogs for about two years now and it's wonderful to see a great South African food blog!

When I read this post I just had to comment because last year I tried to make a caramel centred cupcake from the book "500 Cupcakes". I also went in search of a South African equivalent to the caramels that were used and also ended up with Wilson's Cream Caramels. The result? Exactly the same as yours, the caramels sunk to the bottom of every cupcake and were in no way gooey at all!

In some of the cupcakes I chopped up the caramels and they worked slightly better but also sunk to near the bottom. I've searched and searched but I don't think we have the kind of caramels in our stores that would work with this kind of cupcake! Unfortunate as it sounds so yummy (and looks so yummy in my recipe book).

Anonymous said...

I am by no means an expert but I have heard somewhere...foodnetwork i think that to stop thing sinking in batter you need to dust with flour. did you try this?

Anonymous said...

Great beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your site, how could
i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a
acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

Here is my blog cat bed

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's what I was looking for, what a data! existing here at this web site, thanks admin of this website.

my web blog :: strapless heart rate monitor

Post a Comment